EMT Skills Competency Verification Approved By The EMSA
The EMT Skills Competency Verification for Healthcare Providers Classroom Course is approved by the Emergency Medical Service Authority (EMSA) and designed to provide a wide variety of Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs)/Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians (AEMTs) or other healthcare professionals the ability to recognize and perform psychomotor skills and several life-threatening emergencies in the field of Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
In the classroom, students participate in simulated clinical scenarios and learning stations. Students work with an approved Verifier and Instructor to certify through direct observation, practice and psychomotor skills testing the recommended EMT/AEMT competencies for an eligible candidate to receive and/or renew a designated California EMT Certificate.
The State of California requires all persons that provide EMT or AEMT level scope of practice emergency medical services to obtain a valid state issued EMT or AEMT certification from a certifying entity or LEMSA.
This course is for EMTs/AEMTs and other healthcare professionals who need to know how to perform EMT competencies and other lifesaving skills in a wide variety of in-hospital and out-of-hospital settings.
Features and Course Content:
The EMT Skills Competency Verification Approved By The EMSA trains participants to provide a wide variety of Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs)/Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians (AEMTs) or other healthcare professionals the ability to recognize and perform psychomotor skills and several life-threatening emergencies in the field of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) which include but not limited to the following:
- Trauma Assessment
- Medical Assessment
- Bag-Valve-Mask Ventilation
- Oxygen Administration
- Cardiac Arrest Management w/ AED
- Hemorrhage Control & Shock Management
- Spinal Motion Restriction – Supine & Seated
- Penetrating Chest Injury
- Epinephrine & Naloxone Administration
- Childbirth & Neonatal Resuscitation
Course Materials for Students:
- A PDRE practical exam workbook, manual and/or resource materials may be made available to you on your scheduled date of testing to allow for adequate review and practice.
- You are not required to have the current textbook for this course but the listed applicable and optional provider manuals during your registration are recommended for references only.
Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Initial and Renewal/Update Course:
- Requires approximately 3 hours, including skills practice and skills testing.
- Course time based on 1 instructor: 6 student: 2 manikins
- A completed EMT Skills Verification Form (EMSA-SCV 01/17) is required for those individuals who are either renewing or reinstating their EMT certification. This verification form must accompany the application.
- Verification of skills competency shall be accepted as valid to apply for EMT renewal or reinstatement for a maximum of two (2) years from the date of skill verification.
- The EMT that is being skills tested shall provide their complete name as shown on their California EMT certification, the EMT certificate number and signature in the spaces provided.
- Initial (first-time/expired) Providers: $175
- Renewing Providers: $150
Once skills competency has been demonstrated by direct observation of an actual or simulated patient contact (i.e. skills station), the PDRE Instructor verifying the competency shall:
- Sign the EMT Skills Competency Verification Form for that skill.
- Print their name on the EMT Skills Competency Verification Form for that skill.
- Enter the date that the individual demonstrated the competency of the skill.
- Provide the name of the organization that has approved them to verify skills.
- Provide their certification or license type and number.
Approved Skill Verifier:
Palm Desert Resuscitation Education LLC (PDRE)’s Instructors are approved skills verifier that meet the following qualifications:
- Currently licensed or certified as an EMT, AEMT, Paramedic, Registered Nurse, Physician Assistant, or Physician, and
- Approved to verify as Continuing Education Providers
Other Instructions and Information:
- Before signing up for the exam, review the following skills testing forms as preparation for the skills exam.
- You are responsible for the preparation of the EMT skills necessary for adequate patient care, which includes the minimum required skill identified in Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations (e.g., Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2; Emergency Medical Technician; Section 100080).
- The National Registry website (https://www.nremt.org/rwd/public/document/psychomotor-exam) provides a comprehensive checklist of each skill presented.
- Please note that the following performance checklists are a guide for the verification of required skills.
Scheduling & Discounts:
- Register early because classroom-based courses fill-up quickly
- Enrollment is limited
- Course scheduling is subject to change without notice
- Please call us if you have any questions or for discounted group rates and seasonal promotions!
- Feel free to view our website for more information: https://www.yourcprmd.com
Policies, terms, conditions, and prices may be subject to change without prior notice at any time depending on market value and vendor pricing in addition to yearly, seasonal and daily discounts and specials. Palm Desert Resuscitation Education (PDRE) reserves the right to update or modify these policies, terms, conditions and prices.
Sign Up Here: