Heartsaver® First Aid (Online Part 1) And Skills Tests
Heartsaver First Aid Online has been updated to reflect new science from the AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC and the AHA/Red Cross Guidelines for First Aid. This course covers first aid basics for the most common first aid emergencies, including how to recognize them, how to call for help, and how to perform lifesaving skills.
Heartsaver First Aid Online is the eLearning portion of the Heartsaver First Aid Blended Learning Course and teaches information needed for first aid training. Upon completion of the online portion, students must complete a hands-on session with an AHA Instructor.
You will learn:
- First aid basics
- Medical emergencies
- Injury emergencies
- Environmental emergencies
First Aid instruction includes bandaging, bleeding, wounds, choking, shock, seizure, fainting, broken bones, sprains, burns, bites, stings, poison, and temperature-related conditions, to name a few first aid emergencies.
Once you begin the course, you’ll have access to the online lessons, videos, manuals and resources for 2 years! And you can start and stop the course at your convenience until you have finished it at your own pace.
Successful completion of the full Heartsaver First Aid Course includes three (3) parts:
- Part 1, Heartsaver First Aid online course
- Part 2, a hands-on skills practice session with an authorized AHA Heartsaver Instructor within 60 days
- Part 3, a hands-on skills test with an authorized AHA Heartsaver Instructor within 60 days
After completing the cognitive portion of the course, students practice and test their skills with an AHA Instructor or on a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system. Upon successful completion of the cognitive and skills tests (e.g., after you successfully complete all 3 parts), students receive an AHA Heartsaver First Aid course completion card, valid for two years.
Skills sessions (Parts 2-3) can be sold separately or, more commonly, with a bundle package, and must be completed within 60 days of completing the online Part 1.
This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in first aid to meet job, regulatory or other requirements and is seeking an alternative to classroom-based training.
AHA Blended Learning courses combine the flexibility of online training with hands-on skills practice and testing with an AHA Instructor. They provide a flexible alternative to classroom training.
- Can be completed at work, at home or wherever Internet access is available
- Can be used for initial or renewal training
- Includes interactive exercises and videos
- Certificate of completion available to print when Part 1 has been completed successfully
- Includes online access to the Heartsaver First Aid Student Workbook
- Students have access to all information in the online course for 24 months following activation of their key
- Includes audio and transcript for any of our students who may have a hearing or visual disability
- Screen and text-sized options help meet diverse learning needs
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their personal learning experience
Course Content and Description:
Heartsaver First Aid Online covers first aid basics for the most common first aid emergencies, including how to recognize them, how to call for help, and how to perform lifesaving skills.
It is a Web-based, self-directed program that teaches students critical skills to respond to and manage an emergency in the first few minutes until emergency medical services (EMS) arrives.
- Key changes reflecting the new science from the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- First aid basics
- Medical emergencies
- Injury emergencies
- Environmental emergencies
- Optional written test
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to the following:
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers
- Describe the key steps in first aid
- Remove protective gloves
- Find the problem
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize elements of common injuries
- Recognize elements of common illnesses
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- Heartsaver First Aid Online
- Heartsaver First Aid Student Workbook with Heartsaver First Aid Quick Reference Guide
- May Be Sold Separately
- The Heartsaver First Aid Student Workbook/Provider Manual is for use by a single user as a student reference tool before, during, and after the course.
- Following are the specifications for 1 Heartsaver CPR AED Student Workbook:
- 8.375″ x 10.875″ manual
- Saddle-stitched within a full-color soft cover
- Includes 88 pages of full-color images and text
- First Aid Quick Reference Guide
- May Be Sold Separately
- One 8.375″ x 10.875″-panel
- Online lessons blended with hands-on skills session
- Heartsaver Blended Learning courses include an online portion, followed by a hands-on session with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor
- Part 1 Online:
- Online-based and eLearning
- The online portion can be completed in approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Parts 2 & 3 (Skills Practice and Testing) with an AHA Heartsaver CPR AED Instructor:
- Additional time required for skills practice and testing (Parts 2 and 3)
- The time to complete skills practice and testing session varies
- Course time may vary for initial provider or renewal course
- Present your expired American Heart Association (AHA) Heartsaver First Aid Provider Card to be considered a renewing provider and pay a reduced price for the course
- We do not accept non-AHA provider cards
- Please sign up for PDRE’s accredited Heartsaver First Aid for Healthcare Providers course and receive the most globally recognized AHA provider card
- Heartsaver First Aid Provider Manual
- A current updated Heartsaver First Aid Provider Manual is not required to attend the course
- Purchase the updated book from PDRE for during online class enrollment or before the start of the course at our facility
- Please bring your book if you own the most up-to-date version
- This course has been tested on Windows XP and Mac OSX, with Internet Explorer 8+ or Firefox 2+. Please do not use the Internet Explorer 10 browser with this course. Programs are not supported by Apple Safari.
- Purchase the online access key and classroom-based skills assessment
- Heartsaver® First Aid (Online Part 1) And Skills Tests: $80
- Access Key + Skills Tests Bundle Package
- Heartsaver® First Aid Skills Tests (Only if Online Part 1 is Complete): $40
- Skills Tests Only
- Heartsaver® First Aid (Online Part 1): $40
- Access Key Only
To receive a Heartsaver First Aid course completion card using this program, students must complete three parts:
- Part 1 must be paired with a hands-on skills practice and testing session (Parts 2 and 3) with an AHA First Aid Instructor.
- Heartsaver First Aid (Online Part 1)
- Upon successful completion of the online portion, including the written exam, students receive a Part 1 certificate of completion, which must be presented for parts 2 and 3. The Part 1 certificate of completion allows them entrance into a skills practice and testing session.
- Heartsaver First Aid Part 2*
- A hands-on skills practice session with an AHA Heartsaver First Aid Instructor or using a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system
- Heartsaver First Aid Part 3*
- A skills test with an AHA Heartsaver First Aid Instructor or using a VAM system
- Heartsaver First Aid Parts 2 and 3* should be completed in one “skills practice and testing” session.
- Upon successful online and classroom-based course completion of all three parts, students receive an American Heart Association (AHA) Heartsaver First Aid course completion card, valid for two years.
- A certificate of completion is available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully
- For greater success, it is recommended that the hands-on skills session be conducted shortly after completing the online portion
- Upon successful completion of both the online and hands-on portions of the course, students will receive a Heartsaver CPR AED course completion card (print or eCard), valid for 2 years
- As of December 2017, the AHA has introduced the Heartsaver course completion card for K-12 school systems. The card signifies that an individual in the K-12 school system has successfully completed the objectives and skills evaluations in accordance with the curriculum of the AHA Heartsaver program. If you are a K-12 school, ask your Training Center about this option.
Scheduling & Discounts:
- Once the course fee has been received, our staff will give the student a 90-1400 Heartsaver First Aid Online Part 1 Course Key Code through email, phone, or at the facility to be used for online access to activate the course.
- Codes will be emailed as soon as possible or within 48 hours of orders placed between 7:30am to 5:30pm PST Monday through Friday. If order is placed on Friday after 5:00 pm PST, then the key code may be emailed Monday morning.
- Upon receipt of your access key code, activate and complete the ACLS course online at www.onlineaha.org, print out your online course completion certificate, and call our PDRE office to schedule your skills tests.
- Please bring a copy of your course completion certificate to our PDRE facility.
- Once you have successfully completed your skills testing, you will receive an American Heart Association (AHA) Provider Card that same day or it will be emailed to you as soon as possible.
- PDRE offers some desktop and laptop computer access for the course. Limited seating(s) apply.
- Please call us if you have any questions or for discounted group rates and seasonal promotions!
- Feel free to view our website for more information: https://www.yourcprmd.com
- Changes: April 28, 2017
Heartsaver First Aid Online (PDF opens new window)
ISBN 978-1-61669-442-5, AHA Product Number 15-1402
- Heartsaver First Aid Online
Continuing Education Accreditation- General Audience
- ACET (General Audience) – July 25, 2016 – July 24, 2019
- The American Heart Association is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). The American Heart Association complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, the American Heart Association is authorized to issue the IACET 0.30 CEU.
The American Heart Association (AHA) strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in AHA ECC Courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course material, do not represent income to the Association.
Policies, terms, conditions, and prices may be subject to change without prior notice at any time depending on market value and vendor pricing in addition to yearly, seasonal and daily discounts and specials. Palm Desert Resuscitation Education (PDRE) reserves the right to update or modify these policies, terms, conditions and prices.
Sign Up Here:
Our AHA ACLS instructor, Dr. Nuqui, was very knowledgeable, experienced, supportive, and entertaining. Most of all, I really appreciated how well organized and engaging the initial provider course was conducted in a pleasant and comfortable learning environment. Not only was the training site facility brand-new but everything from the student materials, training AEDs, intubation equipment and manikins were up-to-date and in excellent condition.
I was very impressed with how professional and enjoyable my ACLS and PALS renewal classes were at Palm Desert Resuscitation Education! As an emergency medicine registered nurse working at Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, I wanted to be educated with the most commonly seen cardiac arrhythmias and their treatment but also needed classes that were attention grabbing and fun. Palm Desert Resuscitation Education instructors definitely kept my attention during the lengthy courses by having a balanced sense of humor, pertinent and brilliant instructions, and excellent case scenario discussions.
I highly recommend this training facility as your go-to CPR certification site for your healthcare job because Dr. Nuqui is not only passionate about saving lives but is awesome when it comes to teaching you the proper techniques of resuscitation including compressions, airway management, and defibrillator use. He shares his medical and teaching experiences while making you feel relaxed, stimulated, and well informed with the current AHA guidelines. He taught me exactly what I needed to know to be ready when cardiac arrest happens.
During my Basic Life Support (BLS) class, I was given all of the necessary skills to be confident and not be afraid if ever one of my patients or family members collapses due to a heart condition, such as a heart attack. PDRE’s instructors and staff provide a very friendly, informative, humorous, interesting, and stress-free class that makes me want to personally refer all of my friends and family to do their CPR training at PDRE. Do not hesitate to try the best American Heart Association courses in the Desert Cities!
As an elementary teacher who needed to be responsible for many students, I wanted to learn first aid basics and CPR in case I encounter a time when one of my students may either be choking, bleeding, seizes, faints, breaks a bone, sprains a muscle, becomes allergic, passes out, and experiences other first aid emergencies. Palm Desert Resuscitation Education’s first aid basics and CPR classroom course, which were held in our elementary school, was the perfect out-of-site learning setting to practice first aid basics and CPR for medical and injury emergencies. All of the staff and school employees are truly thankful and now self-assured to be able to provide possible practical first aid basics and CPR to our students, associates, friends or relatives. From my experience, Palm Desert Resuscitation Education quite honestly has the greatest, most efficient and personable instructors teaching top-of-the-line healthcare certification courses.
Dr. Nuqui and his staff were truly amazing when I needed my BLS certification for my personal training business. He was very efficient and thorough with all of the course content and materials including the new guideline changes so that we are all up-to-date when it comes to performing effective CPR and step-by-step use of an AED. It was very easy to listen to him because he is not only a great instructor but is outgoing and personable. He really made the class enjoyable and easy to understand. I would definitely go back here for my BLS recertification.
Being a member of an exclusive golf club in the Palm Springs area, I was surprised by how much I learned in adult CPR and AED use, first aid basics, medical emergencies, injury emergencies, and environmental emergencies during an exciting and educational course held by Dr. Nuqui and other instructors in our private Club House. You never know when someone needs help, especially when we are out in the golf course, and those minutes before the first responders get to our location can be vital. Thus, those important medical techniques that Dr. Nuqui presented to us clearly could possibly save one of our participant’s lives. I now feel very comfortable that our golf club members were trained the proper way and can respond to almost any medical emergency.